ICS believes that Information and Communications Technology plays an essential role in inspiring learners to achieve their potential, pursue their passions and fulfil their responsibilities. Our Digital Citizenship Programme prepares students to adapt and contribute responsibly to our changing world.
All students in Grades 3 -12 are given their own individual login and password to access the school network with school-assigned digital devices (iPads, desktops, Chromebooks and laptops). They are also assigned a school email account with ICS Google Apps for Education. This supports collaboration and communication with their teachers and peers.
(For Grades 3 and 4 only, this email account is limited to use within the @icsz.ch domain. These students cannot send emails outside our school environment or receive emails from outside. This 'walled garden' approach is an important step in encouraging younger students to become responsible users of email and is part of our Digital Citizenship Programme at ICS.)
ICS believes that the internet and all digital devices (including mobile phones) provide our learning community with a rich set of tools and resources to support learning. These digital devices and media provide a platform for students to create, share, problem-solve, and think critically. As part of the ICS learning community, students are expected to honour our school’s Digital Citizenship Agreement. This includes but is not limited to the following:
Respect private information
- I will protect myself and others through my actions with digital devices and media.
- I will protect passwords, accounts and resources and not publish my personal details.
- I will have a positive digital footprint by being careful what I post and what I share.
Respect my and others' privacy
- I will not use electronic media to 'flame', bully or stalk other people.
- I will not abuse my rights of access and I will not enter other people’s private spaces.
- I will report any inappropriate behavior or communications directed at me or others.
- I will protect others by reporting abuse and by not forwarding inappropriate materials or communications.
Respect ourselves and others in our online communities
- I will treat school digital devices with respect and care. I understand having access to these is a privilege.
- I will not visit websites that are degrading to others, pornographic, racist or inappropriate.
- I will balance the time I spend using digital devices with other offline activities.
Respect intellectual property
- I will check that the information I get on the internet is correct and I will cite all my sources appropriately.
- I will act with integrity when using or sharing other people's intellectual property.
- I will not download or install illegal content, software and media with the school network and devices.
Failure to abide by the ICS Digital Citizenship Agreement may result in one or more of the following:
- Disciplinary action by the Principal and/or Head of School
- The notification to the appropriate legal authorities for prosecution, if required.
- Responsibility for damages to all digital devices, equipment, networks and software systems resulting from deliberate or wilful acts of vandalism.
The school has security filtering for all internet-enabled devices, but not 3G, to prevent access to offensive and inappropriate sites from school premises, including hacking and fraud sites.
Social media sites are available on our school network and through our Digital Citizenship Agreement we engage all students in understanding responsible use of social media to support learning.
The school may check computers and devices and monitor internet sites visited in the interest of the safety of all users.