Mother Tongue Classes
ICS strongly encourages students to maintain and develop their mother tongue language. Mother tongue classes take place after school and, where possible, ICS makes rooms available for these classes. The school supports families by reimbursing part of the costs of recognised and approved mother tongue classes. Please see below for more details.
The ICS Parents’ Association organises a group of volunteer Country / Language representatives. These volunteers can offer information about mother tongue classes. You can find their contact details in the Parents' Association section of the website. (Password required.) For the 2017-18 school year the following mother tongue classes are available. (Please note: not all classes take place at ICS):
Chinese; Danish; Dutch; French; German (exempt from reimbursement programme); Italian; Japanese; Korean; Norwegian; Russian; Spanish; Swedish.
Enrollment begins in August. Contact your Country/Language Representative for more information.
ICS repays part of the costs of recognised and approved mother tongue classes. ICS will pay 50 per cent of the cost of mother tongue classes for Primary students, up to a maximum of CHF 400. ICS will pay 50 per cent of the cost of mother tongue classes for Secondary students up to a maximum of CHF 600. The classes must be approved by ICS in advance.
To obtain the repayments, please follow these steps:
- Families contact their country/language representative to find a Mother Tongue teacher.
- The ICS Mother Tongue Tuition Form is filled in by the parents and signed by the Mother Tongue teacher.
- By 21 September all the forms should be handed in to the Primary Office. This is essential to get your reimbursement at the end of the year.
- If classes take place on the ICS premises, the ICS Waiver Form must also be filled in.
- The ICS Mother Tongue Reimbursement Form is filled in by the parents and the Mother Tongue teacher writes a progress report. Only completed forms with proof of payment will be reimbursed.
- The form is handed in together with the parents' proof of payment (via the Primary Office)
- The finance department reimburses the parents.