In our Primary School, there is an excitement and desire to learn. Our students learn through exploring new ideas and interests and through taking part in relevant and stimulating learning experiences.
They are living in a changing and increasingly inter-connected world. To prepare them, we help our students to develop problem-solving strategies, think critically and creatively, and acquire the knowledge and skills to apply their learning to new and unfamiliar tasks.
Both structured and child-initiated inquiries allow them to follow their own interests and passions and to explore new ideas and concepts. We strive to build on the students’ natural curiosity for the world around them and provide a well-balanced curriculum framework that incorporates the most recent research on how children learn.
Learning is enhanced, and made relevant, through opportunities to interact with visiting ‘experts’ and taking part in outdoor learning experiences and trips within Switzerland. As a result of their learning, we actively encourage the students to be socially responsible by taking action that has an impact on themselves, their friends, the school and the community in which they live.
In the Primary School environment, students will:
- Learn through inquiry, make personal connections to their learning and build from their prior knowledge
- Develop a solid foundation of core academic skills
- Become an active and contributing member of the learning community
- Work individually, or collaboratively with a partner and in small groups
- Reflect regularly on new learning, their decisions and their strengths as learners
- Receive regular feedback on their learning and give feedback to others
- Appreciate different learning styles
- Work in a supportive environment
- Show tolerance and respect for other cultures as they develop an international perspective
There is a strong sense of community and belonging within the Primary School. This is created by supportive and collaborative interactions between the students, their parents and our staff. We expect our students to continue to question throughout their lives and have a strong sense of fairness towards all people. We want students from ICS to be appreciative of their opportunities and become lifelong learners. To achieve this, we offer the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme.